The History of Buckswood School
From it’s earliest days, Buckswood has inhabited large old country houses just far enough from the hubbub of modern life to benefit from the freedom of the countryside whilst at the same time remaining within striking distance of the metropolis.
The two genteel spinsters who founded the original school near Crawley in 1933 boasted that ‘This is the case. There were also ‘organised games’ and ‘riding taught on own ponies kept for this purpose.’
During the War, the school moved to Uckfield before being reborn in the seventies as an international school gaining British Council status. Two rambling houses later, Buckswood present custodians have of course moved on, but in a sense the school has come full circle. Buckswood’s current home is Broomham Hall, an 15th century manor house, three miles east of Hastings. It also ‘stands in forty three acres of land in a very sunny position’ but this time sixty miles (or an hour and half by train) from London.
There are riding stables and sport is still the flavour of the school is still at heart international. Over two hundred day-pupils socialise and learn with the same number of international boarders (receiving their education in English) allowing everybody to benefit from the constant cultural exchange that is everyday life at the school.